Crosstown Arts / 1350 Concourse Ave. July 25 - August 25th
Sully Allen, Jesse Butcher, Zahria Cook, Dehanza, Mulanre "Eddie" Gan, Mary Jo Karimnia, Melanie Manos, Jeremiah Matthews and Kayla Selby, Natalie Minik, Alex Paulus, Cat Peña, Nick Peña, Terri Phillips, Corkey Sinks, Joey Slaughter, Jessica Weaver, Terri Weaver, Tad Lauritzen Wright
Exhibition of works in the miniscule spaces around the first and second floor of Crosstown Concourse in the Central and East Atria. Curated by Crosstown Arts resident artist Aubree Penney. On view through August 25.
Engaging with the architecture and history of Crosstown and the residues of both its predecessor Sears and its subsequent transformation, group exhibition Negative Space operates within unused miniscule spaces in public areas of Crosstown Concourse. Numerous holes, nails, and small architectural elements pockmark walls and columns, bearing evidence of past usage. Negative Space invites current Artists in Residence at Crosstown Arts as well as local community artists to embrace these underutilized spaces for art display. Negative Space offers artists and audience members an opportunity both to explore the Concourse and to consider scale and intimacy in public art display.
This opening event is part of the Crosstown Arts Resident Artist Showcase on Thursday, July 25 from 6-9 pm.
Schedule of events:
* 6-9 pm — Opening reception for Negative Space, an art show featuring works in holes and on hooks and architecture shelves on 1st & 2nd floor of Central & East Atria. Curated by resident Aubrey Penney.
* 6-7 pm — Open studio for Joey Slaughter in Studio 104 in Shared Art Making
* 7-7:30 pm — A work-in-progress screening for #BlackGirlhood by Dehanza Rogers on East Atrium stage
* 7:30-8 pm — Performance piece by Melanie Manos on second floor of Central Atrium
* 7 pm through the evening — Work by Natalie Minik projected on column in the East Atrium
* 8 pm — Collaborative performance by Eden Wiseman, Ori Dvir, Baishui, and Sarah Ledbetter with an installation by Eden Wiseman and Nick Peña in The Green Room
* 8:40 pm — Theatrical performance by Valerie Houston
* 9 pm — Performance by Melanie Manos in The Green Room